Friday, October 28

A-League: I'm Struggling

Like most football (round-ball) fans, I was happy to see the reforms to the Australian game under Lowy. With the new teams and a fresh start, I joined and became a happy follower (even if from the distant reaches of suburban Tokyo).

But as the seasons work by and wheel away, I cant say I love the competition as much as I should... here is why...

1. The Melbourne Victory. 
The first team in Melbourne, and carrying the state colours. Must be the one team right? ...Well, no.
Picking navy and white is just too easy... teams picking colours on state affiliations is easy... lazy... cliche. 

As much as we love the Navy and white of the Big V...




















I prefer this...                                                             ...over this.

And, then of course, navy and white is always linked to the very mortal enemy of the RFC faithful.

So from Day 1, I was never fully 'on-board' with the Victory.


2. The Melbourne Heart.
Seriously... that's the name. You almost lost me completely right there.
But the colours are at least not such an obvious choice on one hand (i.e. state based), but on the other hand, with a team in blue as your local rival, well red is just too easy.

I still cant get behind them though even though I do like the traditional shirts they have for home and away strips.
















Home                                                                            Away


In fact, I actually prefer the away kit... very clean, very stylish.

But I can't get behind 'The Heart'. It feels wrong, odd.


So, I am kind of off the A-League...

Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment