Thursday, October 6

Collingwood: You Still Have This...

I have co-opted someone else's data (via the web) into excel, and now have a list of every VFL/AFL game ever played. Teams, scores and venues. I used this to analyse 'blowout games' as I tweeted about over the last few months ...and may add that analysis onto this blog in the future.

But just as a little look back over all 13959 games, a full ladder of all games ever played (including finals, excluding non-premiership games) gives us the below ladder.


Note that I have had to base this on a 'Match Ratio' basis, as the number of games is imbalanced.

So over the journey, Collingwood hold the title of the team with the best win loss record. Something to help them sleep well at night, I'm sure. 

Also in the above I have grouped teams results as per the below, as ...
      South Melbourne (1897 - 1981) and Sydney (1982 - current)
      Fitzroy (1897 - 1996), Brisbane Lions (1997 - current) and Brisbane Bears (1987 - 1996)
      Footscray (1925 - 1996) and Western Bulldogs (1997 - current)
      North Melbourne (1925 - 1999, 2007 - current) and Kangaroos (1999 - 2007)


The table also roughly mirrors what you could consider the ranking of Melbourne clubs, membership and supporter wise... (debatable point, as it is...) 
    The Big Six:     Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Geelong, Richmond, Hawthorn,
    The Others:     South Melbourne/Sydney, Melbourne, Fitzroy
                          Footscray/Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne, St. Kilda

Also an interesting disparity between West Coast and Fremantle in performance, that is not mirrored in Adelaide.

I will pick apart these stats further in future posts.


* For purely academic purposes, a split-out those entities above to make the below table is produced.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I thought I had football/excel addiction but mine seems now to be mere folly! I love this stuff! Richmond awfully close to 9th all time as well...very happy with 8th! Great stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, we do like a bit of footy stats and footy maths. I have also started another page that I plan to update at the end of each round in 2012 and on that ranks the AFL teams under a continuous mathematical criteria.

    Have a look here... footymaths.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete